rules for learner drivers


Everything you need to know about bikes, plates, passengers, licensing:

motorcycle licence and engine rule sizes

There are 2 classes of motorcycle licence:

  • RE licence (learner, provisional, probationary or open)
  • R licence (provisional, probationary or open).

learner approved motorcycles (LAM)


motorcycle road rules


what is the process for obtaining a motorbike licence


can i use my own bike to obtain my licence?

WHAT do I need to bring to the course

As an RE licence holder (learner, provisional, and open), you can ride a learner approved motorcycle.

The learner approved motorcycle scheme (LAM Scheme) gives you access to a range of motorcycles and scooters that are appropriate to your level of experience.

Motorcycle riders, including moped and motortrike riders, must follow the same road rules as other vehicles on Queensland roads. Most of the rules that apply to drivers also apply to motorcycle riders, for example, the give way rules, traffic light rules and speed limits. But there are some rules that specifically apply to motorcycle riders, and you can learn about these here:

You are required to complete three Q-Ride motorcycle training courses.  The process is detailed here:


You are welcome to use your own motorcycle for your Q-Ride course.

  • If you are upgrading to your Restricted (RE) licence, your motorcycle must be LAMS approved, roadworthy and registered.
  • If you are upgrading to your Unrestricted (R) licence, your bike has to be an R class unrestricted bike (it cannot be a LAMS approved bike), roadworthy and registered.

You are welcome to bring along your own Learner Approved Motorcycle (LAM) and your riding gear.  Wear jeans, enclosed shoes, a long-sleeved shirt (hi-vis if possible), hat and sunglasses.